Broccoli Tomato Salad
This past Saturday, Chef Leslie Glynn and I gave out samples of a simple and delicious salad featuring April’s Vegetable of the Month, broccoli. You can visit Hannaford Supermarket’s website for this and other healthy recipes. For your convenience, I’ve copied the recipe below. Enjoy!
Broccoli Tomato Salad (makes 1-2 servings)
* 1 c broccoli florets, bite-size
* 3/4 tsp sesame seeds
* 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
* 3/4 tsp rice vinegar
* 3/4 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
* 2 tsp sesame oil
* 1/2 c cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
* 1 tbsp green onions, finely chopped
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Steam broccoli until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse briefly under cold running water to stop cooking process. Drain well and let dry.
2. Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add sesame seeds and toast, stirring constantly until lightly browned.
3. In a medium bowl, gradually whisk the mustard with the vinegar and oregano. Whisk in the sesame seed oil. Add broccoli, tomatoes, and onion, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the salad.
We’d like to thank Hannaford Supermarket for their continued support for our Vegetable of the Month program, a collaboration with Waltham Public Schools that aims to increase the use of vegetables in our city’s school lunch program.
Images by Rebekah Carter (2011).