Access to healthy affordable food is a basic human right and our mission is to ensure food security, which includes both physical and economic access to food that meets people’s dietary needs as well as their food preferences, for the entire Waltham community. We define food security as:
- Food availability: enough nutritious food – regularly available.
- Food access: financial and physical resources to obtain appropriate foods for a nutritious diet.
- Food knowledge: education about basic nutrition as well as safe and effective food use and storage.
The Waltham Healthy Food Access Coalition emphasizes an evidence-based approach and will utilize the following strategies and tools in order to achieve its vision and mission:
- Networking and Collaboration
- Programming and Direct Services